“I cheated on my fears, broke up with my doubts, got engaged to my faith and now I am marrying my dreams” -unknown.
- Condition your mind to see every man as a brother.
Why? Infidelity is toxic to marriage. You need to prepare your mind early that every guy is your brother. This will help keep your relationship with males in check before and after you are married. Even if you are engaged, you have to remember that this guy is your brother in Christ first, I know this is hard to do if you’re attracted to the person but you have to train your mind until after the wedding.
- Be complete in Christ.
Why? Marriage and your husband can’t complete you. In fact, no one can complete us but God. If you are not happy now, trust me from what I have heard from couples, marriage wouldn’t make you any happier. To believe that someone will complete you is an absolute myth. Only God can fulfill us.
- Pray for God’s choice of a mate..
Why? God knows us more than anyone, he is the best matchmaker cos he knows the person that will fix you best. Don’t pick someone and ask God for his blessing. Ask God, this person is interested in me is this the person you want me to marry. This is why it is very important we have a relationship with God where we can hear his voice clearly.
- Learn to Cook…
In American culture, it’s not a big deal if you don’t cook but in Nigerian culture, a woman who can’t cook is a disgrace to her family.
- Start now to pray for your marriage
- Abstain from sex till marriage- if you can have sex outside of marriage, you will have sex outside of your marriage. Studies show premarital sex increases risk for divorce–Read here– (http://www.focusonthefamily.com/about_us/focus-findings/marriage/premarital-sex-and-divorce.aspx)
- Learn to manage your money.. Please don’t bring children into this world with no plan how you will take care of them. It is your responsibility to take care of your kids not the government.
- Set your mind and keep it set that when you marry that divorce is not an option. If you are engaged, tell your fiancé how does he feel about this concept? In cases of abuse where your life and your children’s life are threatened that is serious emergency situation and you need to take the necessary steps to get out of that situation.
- Be honest about everything with the person you are about to marry. I mean it’s better they know all about your skeletons before you marry them. Especially for women, if any of your body part is fake please your fiancé deserves the right to know before he marries you. People put people in weird situations when they are not honest before marriage. Morale of the story: it will hurt you more later if you aren’t honest.
- If you want kids, babysit other ppl’s kids to get a feel what it would be like to have your own kids. Do you even like kids?.. You need to know these things. If you don’t want kids pls don’t marry someone who wants kids cos you will definitely have conflict.
- Know your character traits and develop the character traits that will help you in marriage. For example: if you are quick tempered, you need to work on that because if you don’t that might be a problem in your marriage.
- Gain from wisdom from couples that have been married more than 30 years and still married
- Don’t compare your life to others. You will never be content in your life. This is a very important concept: so when you do get married, you wouldn’t compare your husband and kids with another person.
- Use your words to build the people you love even when they hurt you.
- Marry someone you sincerely love. Marrying someone who worships the ground you walk on will make you feel trapped in marriage if you don’t love that person equally.
- Love yourself. You can’t love anyone until you love yourself.
- Learn to forgive easily and quickly.
- Enjoy yourself as a single so that after you get married you don’t feel like you are missing out on life. Your priority should change after you are married.
- Learn to say “I am sorry”
20. Most important, ask God to prepare you to be that Proverbs 31 woman for your future husband and family!
I found this amazing story written one of my friends on fb. I can’t share the person’s name.
“A man who is about 24 years old is walking down the street homeless for over almost 4 years now. Asking people for food and money. This man was not a man of ignorance or negativity. He just lost his home due to a major fire from the inside of his house. This man lost his two twin daughters and his wife of 8 years in the fire. He survived but now has nothing.”
One day, this man went to the a gas station up the street to find more people to give him something to eat. He ran into this young lady. This young lady was about 22 years old. She was in college and had alot going for her. So the homeless man went up to her and asked her “What is the matter why is she so sad? She answered: “I lost my job, my grades are not good, my parents dont listen to me and I just broken up with my boyfriend of 3 years.” The man replied and said “Sorry to hear that. I just have one thing to say to you. From what I hear your going through a lot of things right now but trust me when I say its not gonna end this way. You still have a chance for something greater in life so your should hold your pretty face up high and continue on with life. Coming from experience, IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE!I am a homeless man out here begging for food and money.
Trust me, there is a whole lot you should be thankful for in the process. I am not the best person to share bible scripture with, but the last scripture I read keeps me going and I hope that it blesses you. It says: For I know the plans that I have for you declares the lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
The young lady was so blessed by the message he gave her. She gave him great thanks by taking him to get something to eat and actually bought him a gift card to shop for clothes.
Ending of this message, the homeless man went to church one day and gave his life to christ! He ended up living with the pastor who gave him a job at his funeral home. So on TODAY, this homeless man is now running his own business, has a two story house in the suburbs, and is currently engaged to be married to his new wife to be.
Whats so amazing about this short story is not only do I know this man, but it shows me that no matter if your a crackhead, prostitute, etc. God gets pleasure in using this so-called names to be a blessing and a true example of TRUST AND FAITH! People like this man are a mystery to God. It just proves that he can take anyone and turn their life around.
The best part of this story is HIS WIFE TO BE IS THE YOUNG LADY HE RAN INTO AT THE GAS STATION!!!! GOD IS AN AMAZING GOD…..
Written by: a friend on Facebook
What can I say?! How Great is our GOD!!!!